The "old" Hampshire County Jail is one of the oldest government buildings in
continuous use in the State of West Virginia. The jail dates back to the late
1700's, and was in continuous use throughout the Civil War.
In 2000, the West Virginia Regional Jail Authority opened the Potomac Highlands
Regional Jail in Augusta. The opening of this larger, more modern facility brought
an end to the "Hampshire County Jail".
The building has recently undergone a total renovation and now houses the
WVU Extension Offices, Hampshire County Parks & Recreation, The County
Planner's Office and the County Maintenance Department.
Pictured above is the front of the old county
jail. This brick structure housed the jailer
and his/her family during his tenure in that
position. The small white door on the side is
where the prisoners would enter the jail.
The stone structure was in the rear of
the jailer's quarters. This area housed
the prisoners during their stay.
This heavy steel door is the original door
to the jail, and the first thing that
welcomed the inmates to their new This
heavy steel door is the original door
An outsider's view of the "drunk tank". This cell
housed 4 inmates and was separated from the
general population area.
A view into one of the general population cells.
This cell housed 4 inmates. It's sliding doors
were operated by a "pulley" system located
outside of the cell area.
The control panel that operated the sliding
doors to the general population cells.
This walk through "vault" like door
connected the jail to the jailer's quarters.
This door would be secured to keep the
prisoners from gaining access to the